SBFL REDUX

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

5/09/2023 1:48 pm  #1

Expos and Nats trade

Nats receive
-Sandy Alcantara
-Aaron Judge

Expos receive
-Julio Rodriguez
-Elly De La Cruz
-Eury Perez
-1st rd pick
-5th rd pick

Nationals 

5/09/2023 2:40 pm  #2

Re: Expos and Nats trade

Accepted

5/09/2023 5:36 pm  #3

This trade has been vetoed by the league.

5/09/2023 5:45 pm  #4

Please explain this veto; I’ve just gotten a top end OF (worth more than judge or sandy), a round 1 and 5 pick and two high end prospects for judge and alcantara. There is no good rationale for a veto here; while the league may not universally value prospects the same, this is holding me back here in my rebuild plans. I’ll easily have 10 quality keepers for next year and picks galore to work with. And I’m also getting the best player in this deal. Please explain here!!

Last edited by Bhiddy9999_expos (5/09/2023 5:49 pm)

5/09/2023 6:15 pm  #5

The league vetoed this trade through league wide voting.

Judge and Alcantara were #2 and #3 in points last season. Who are the reigning MVP and CY Young award winners. Yes, you're getting a young top quality player in return but then you're getting two unproven prospects and two picks that are going to give you roughly the 200th and 300th best player available.

If you based this on ESPN's Dynasty rankings, you're trading #10 and 22 for #3, 78 and 147.

Also, you would currently only have 1 active starting pitcher. That brings in question fairness in the league. If you only have one pitcher, you're never going to win. You're never going to be a threat to win.

Last edited by Athletics (5/09/2023 6:22 pm)

5/09/2023 6:24 pm  #6

I get where you’re coming from, but hear me out also: judge and sandy had career seasons…they aren’t gonna repeat those numbers nor be that close. Judge is an injury time bomb in my eyes and thus not somebody I want to own compared to Julio R. Sandy had a brilliant year sure, but he’s not matching it.

On the picks, what you’re not factoring in here is there will be teams with more than 10 solid keepers; I can either swoop in on those via trade or pick them with round 1s. You cannot assume I am automatically getting the 200th best guy with a round 1 pick. Perez and cruz are two top spects who may be dramatically different in your eyes by seasons end.

As for being competitive….. I’m doing this to try and be dominant in 2024. I was 0-4 and matches were generally not that close. It’s fine if you guys want to kick me out as I can tell this is not a strategy the league has seen, yet it’s worked great for me before. I totally leave this to you guys, no offence taken. I don’t want to upset a long-standing league in any way.

5/09/2023 7:06 pm  #7

I understand what you're trying to do and other teams have done it in the past but just not this extreme. It's tricky because every owner has a different value in players/picks and has a different strategy.

You’ve stated your case, and I’d love to hear from some of the other owners their view on the trade.

5/09/2023 7:13 pm  #8

Sure, that’s all I can ask. In the end I don’t want to mess up anybody’s league! Just wanted to state the approach. On my end it’s one year of suffering the rebuild to be set up for long-standing competitiveness, hopefully folks understand!

5/09/2023 8:10 pm  #9

Here are a couple of my thoughts:

1) The trade announcement is rather surprising based on your previous comments. In your other veto chat from your last trade, you claimed that for Sandy and Judge you "want major league talent". Well for one of them you did, but for the other, it was was simply prospects and picks. These are two top performers, and while, you are likely correct their season's from last year may not be repeated, they could still both easily finish among the top-10/15 in their positions and that is quite valuable to give away for the dart throw of prospects (even highly touted ones). I think that MLB talent is rather important here. Just spitballing here, but if it were J-Rod, Greene, Cruz and a 1st; it's looking better as at least Greene is doing alright already. Because that leads to point #2...

2) I can appreciate what you are trying to do, but the timing of this is so early in the season and the integrity of the league is diminished some as, no offense, but you will be a cake-walk weekly matchup from here on out as your pitching staff is almost entirely prospects. Trading more borderline keepers or depth pieces for prospects and picks is probably fine any time, but names like you want to move should include more established talent. Also, I believe these types of deals are more acceptable closer to the trade deadline as it doesn't bolster and diminish two rosters for almost the whole season, but just the last 6-7 weeks (and let's be real, if you guys are making this deal you are both keeping all of these guys, so does it matter if it's May 10 or August 10?).

I really hope that you don't feel anyone "wants to kick out of the league", you seem quite knowledgeable on baseball and are VERY active; you're exactly the type of owner this league needs. I think some of just feel, that in a league that's 18 teams deep, with 180 keepers and almost 500 rostered, it sometimes has to be policed a little differently than other leagues. For instance, like our rule that the 1st overall pick of the draft is awarded to the winner of the consolation bracket, and not the worst team. We needed to institute this to reduce tanking as teams that were getting off to bad starts, just stopped playing and were a "free win" every week for the bulk of the season.

Again, these are just my thoughts. Thanks for reading! 🙂

5/09/2023 8:50 pm  #10

Bhiddy9999_expos wrote:

Please explain this veto; I’ve just gotten a top end OF (worth more than judge or sandy), a round 1 and 5 pick and two high end prospects for judge and alcantara. There is no good rationale for a veto here; while the league may not universally value prospects the same, this is holding me back here in my rebuild plans. I’ll easily have 10 quality keepers for next year and picks galore to work with. And I’m also getting the best player in this deal. Please explain here!!

I think a large problem is that a 1st rounder in this league does not carry as much value as it seems. in a league that has 18 teams, and each team protects 10 making the available pool of players to take with the first is a little less appealing than it sounds. Julio is a top prospect for sure but not sure he is, or will be, the best player in this trade. he has already struggled more this season than widely anticipated. it probably is a sophomore slump but to declare him the best player in this deal is a bit optimistic, especially when judge and alcantara are involved. alcantara is arguably the best sp in baseball and one of the few pitchers who is a constant threat to pitch a complete game which is very valuable in this league. judge is coming off one of the most dominant seasons for a batter this league has ever seen. I didn't veto it and can see your thought process and why you would do it but also see why some would veto it. oh, and to echo dan, I definitely don't want you to leave the league and you know your ball for sure and are a valued manager in this league.   

Board footera