SBFL REDUX

You are not logged in. Would you like to login or register?

10/17/2022 3:00 pm  #1

Proposed Rule Changes

1. Adding a DH spot to the line-up and expanding the roster size to 26. The UTL spot will still be in place. The offensive positions would be C, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS, OF, OF, OF, UTL, DH.

2. Prospect Draft
     -A prospect will be defined as any player in an MLB organization that is currently not on the 40-man roster
     -The draft will take place after Opening Day
     -The draft order will be random
     -The drafted prospect will be protected and will not need to be on the SBFL active roster until they are placed on the ML active roster, this includes year-to-year
     -When the prospect is place on the ML active roster, the owner must activate the player within the week (ex: they are selected on a Sunday, they will need to be on the SBFL active roster by the end of Saturday)
     -Once a player makes their debut, the player must remain on the team's active roster even if they are sent down to the minors, if the team wishes to keep them
     -Unprotected prospects can be selected in the regular draft or acquired from free agency but they will need to be on the SBFL active roster

10/17/2022 3:00 pm  #2

Re: Proposed Rule Changes

For the prospect draft, I'm thinking 1 round but would be open to 2 rounds if teams are interested.

10/17/2022 3:14 pm  #3

1) No (isn't this the purpose of a UTIL spot to begin with?). Although, luckily it seems alot of players have DH eligibility now if it does pass.

2) Yes, I'd love this - but will this be hard to manage? Seems like alot of extra focus on something outside of ESPN. Also, what do you do if a manager is inactive by the time a call-up happens in August or September? Would you just drop the prospect or the lowest performing player on their active roster to make room?

Last edited by Bozzy (10/17/2022 3:14 pm)

10/17/2022 3:28 pm  #4

Prospects: How's it work for guys you've been sitting on for years already and have used keeper spots on?

10/17/2022 3:33 pm  #5

What’s the difference in the UTL spot and a DH spot? You could only use a player with DH eligibility correct? How many of those are out there?

As for Prospect Draft I don’t really care. But if your going to do this why not just add a few extra rounds to reg draft and let teams draft whoever they want?

10/17/2022 3:48 pm  #6

Dh spot can be tricky cause how many players have a DH designation and everyone plays dh once or twice a week with no dh under them so this may lead to teams not having a dh player to play in their dh spot. My opinion.

As for prospect positions not alot people pay attention to line ups as is at end of year. People already hold prospects sometimes 3-4 years as is some still waiting lol. But im open to new idea's.

10/17/2022 4:39 pm  #7

DH/Roster:
42 of the top 100 offensive players are DH eligible. I felt it gives a bit more flexibility and more offense to teams. Or we could look at just adding an additional UTL spot. Or just expanding to 26 man rosters like the MLB, which our rosters are modeled after.

I could do two different polls, one to add a DH or UTL, and then a second poll to expand rosters to 26.

Prospects:
-It wouldn't be that difficult to manage. A list can be put on this board as well as the league page on ESPN.
-Teams will be responsible for adding players to their roster. If you're inactive, you're inactive. Which really only looked like a couple of teams towards the end.
-We could place prospects already on SBFL rosters on the protected list.
-A protected prospect list would allow teams to draft for the future and not waste an active roster spot. The prospects that are expected to make their debuts to start the season will likely be taken in the regular draft, this will be a deeper dive into prospects that are 2, 3 or 4 years away. And if a prospect you drafted in say 2023 isn't panning out, you can always drop the rights to that player before the next draft.

10/17/2022 5:34 pm  #8

1) I am okay to add either the DH or another Util Spot

2) Yes 

10/17/2022 7:22 pm  #9

Even with the detailed description of the prospect list, it's a very manual process which IMO makes it kind of complex.  So, I would be a "no" on the prospects.

10/18/2022 8:28 am  #10

Athletics wrote:

DH/Roster:
42 of the top 100 offensive players are DH eligible. I felt it gives a bit more flexibility and more offense to teams. Or we could look at just adding an additional UTL spot. Or just expanding to 26 man rosters like the MLB, which our rosters are modeled after.

I could do two different polls, one to add a DH or UTL, and then a second poll to expand rosters to 26.

Prospects:
-It wouldn't be that difficult to manage. A list can be put on this board as well as the league page on ESPN.
-Teams will be responsible for adding players to their roster. If you're inactive, you're inactive. Which really only looked like a couple of teams towards the end.
-We could place prospects already on SBFL rosters on the protected list.
-A protected prospect list would allow teams to draft for the future and not waste an active roster spot. The prospects that are expected to make their debuts to start the season will likely be taken in the regular draft, this will be a deeper dive into prospects that are 2, 3 or 4 years away. And if a prospect you drafted in say 2023 isn't panning out, you can always drop the rights to that player before the next draft.

I'd be a yes for both of these then

Board footera